Oh... wait... I know...
It's because that is now how many years I have existed upon this fair planet we call earth.
That's right, I have forever left my 20's in the dust. It really freaked me out for a few days there, but I got over it. I still haven't had to write my age as "30" on any forms yet, so maybe all of the freak-outs haven't passed me by yet. We'll see. What day isn't made just a little more fun with a little bit of freakiness?
I'll make a post about the fantastic dinner I made to celebrate later. For now I want to make a list of some of the fun things I have done/experienced this past decade. The following are listed in no particular order...
- Hiked Mt. Timpanogos twice
- Watched the 4th of July fireworks from the Y
- Watched the sunset from Squaw Peak (don't get all excited, I was by myself)
- Seen Lionel Richie, Tina Turner, Diamond Rio, Gary Allen, Sawyer Brown, and several others in concert
- Been featured in the Daily Universe not once, but twice!
- Been interviewed for a story that aired on KSL (Allowing me to cross "be a TV star" off of the bucket list)
- Learned Castellano
- Spent 16 months in Argentina on a Mission for the LDS Church
- Been videoed walking around the Riverwoods dressed in a Penguin suit
- Grown my hair out to my elbows, cut it to my chin, then grown it out to my elbows again (current length. I really do look better with long hair)
- Known the glory that is laser surgery (both for correcting vision and the obliteration of hair follicles)
- Was told by a man that I am "more of a man than him." He came out of the closet years later. I'm still unsure how to take that particular statement.
- Fallen up stairs several times. Trust me, this is something to brag about. Plenty of people fall down stairs, but how many people fall up stairs. I have a scar on my shin from falling up the stairs in front of hundreds of people at the movies...
- Got both a BS and a PhD in Biochemistry
- Joined a Band (no, not a rock band... a british brass band. Trust me, its cool)
- Seen Loch Ness, Stonehenge, Tintagel Castle, the Blarney Castle, Mont San Michele, the David, Venice, the Coloseum, the Mona Lisa, the Eiffel Tower, and the cathedral at Notre Dame
- Discovered the tasty deliciousness that is gruyere cheese
- Bonded with my Mechanic (he's a catalyst, I'm just stuck in the bin)
- Became an Aunt several times over
- Won 5 radio contests in one year
- Published several articles in scientific journals
- Won the 2004 ABRF poster award and gave a presentation at the conference
- Leared how to crochet and knit
- Read hundreds upon hundreds of books
- Made more new friends than I can count
- Lived in 9 different Provo Apartments
- Learned how to type really fast
- Got to know my Great-grandpa Orson and great-grandma Lucinda by compiling a book about their life together
- Lost 20 lbs. in 4 months, and gained it back upon frequent exposure to funeral potatoes
- Got to hang out with "Majesty" - a Queen tribute band
- Tried on Miss Utah's crown
- Grown my own food in several different gardens
- Almost ODed on fresh cherries (is there anything tastier... mmmmmm...)
- Went on a California road-trip with little Huff
- Had several awkward conversations in which I found out I was not in the running for "more than friends" status
- On a related note, I have not been on cuddling terms with nearly enough guys in my 20s. Here's hoping to do better in that category in my 30s!
- Taken 7 dance classes. I'm still not very graceful, but I can hold my own on a ballroom floor with a decent lead.
- Learned the basics of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.